Hancock Estabrook has a premier Tax Practice. Our attorneys have extensive experience representing individuals, partnerships, limited-liability companies, S-Corporations, C-Corporations, closely-held businesses, multinational corporations, and tax-exempt entities.
Our experience in federal and New York State taxation includes:
- Income tax planning for individuals, partnerships, limited liability companies and corporations.
- Partnership and corporate reorganizations and restructurings.
- Family limited partnerships and family limited-liability companies.
- Sophisticated estate planning through tools such as qualified personal residence trusts, life insurance trusts, charitable lead trusts, charitable remainder trusts, private annuities, self-canceling installment notes and grantor retained annuity trusts.
- Complex Individual Retirement Account beneficiary designations utilizing testamentary trusts to maximize tax deferral for qualified plans.
- Valuation discount planning.
- Controversies before federal and New York State taxing authorities.
- Advice to charitable and tax-exempt entities.
- Obtaining recognition of tax-exempt status for entities by completing IRS Forms 1023 and 1024.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Requests for private letter rulings on complex tax issues.
- Employee benefit plans.
- Drafting nonqualified deferred compensation plans for highly-compensated individuals.
- Bankruptcy and cancellation of indebtedness planning.
- Federal and New York State tax litigation before the United States Tax Court and the New York State Division of Tax Appeals.
- Working with our Regulatory & White Collar Crime Practice attorneys to deal with investigations and other inquiries.
- Obtaining releases of levies, liens, and wage garnishments.
- Negotiating offers in compromise and installment agreements in satisfaction of taxpayer liabilities.
- Qualifying individuals to participate in New York State’s Voluntary Disclosure and Compliance Program.
- Advice on Brownfield tax issues.